Everything tends to have an expiration update, but do you know how often you should be changing some household items?
- Air Filter-When the air being circulated through your house is coming through your air conditioner, it pays to clean the filter regularly. If it has been awhile, be prepared for quite the accumulation of dust, pollen, and debris. For HVAC units, change the filter every three months. If you have pets, two months. And if you have allergies every 30 days. If you happen to have a window unit, shake out and wash the filter. Then, allow it to dry off to avoid mold.
- Pillows-Whether or not you would like to think about it, your pillows hold dust, dirt, oil, dead skin cells, and in some cases even dust mites. Pillows should be replaced every 3 years, or as quickly as six months if you have allergies. If you can, pillows should even be washed every three months. Down alternative pillows can go into the washing machine, but if you have down feather pillows, those need to be dry cleaned.
- Smoke & Carbon Dioxide detectors
-If your waiting for these detectors to beep before changing the batteries, you may be putting yourself and your family at a risk. Set an alarm on your phone, put it on the calendar, or pick a holiday as a yearly reminder to change the batteries on safety equipment.
- Water Pitcher Filters-If you a person who tends to ignore the warning on the water pitcher, your not alone. But you should be changing the filter every 40 gallons, which normally works out to every other month. If you have hard water you should change more frequently.
- Refrigerator Water Filter-Modern refrigerators often have a light to remind you that you need to replace the filter. But if yours does not, you should be replacing every six to twelve months.
- Vent Filters-If your range hood filter is stainless there is a good chance it has collected plenty of cooking grease. Grab a bucket and soak the filters in a solution of boiling water, baking soda, and dish soap. Then after a few minuets of soaking take a dish brush to it. Then rinse and replace. If your filter is destroyed, you can pick them up at almost any home improvement store.
- Sponges-Sponges should be replaced every week because they harbor an environment for lots of bacteria. You can wash them in the dishwasher to help, or wash by hand then microwave for a couple mins to dry it out.